Thursday, April 28, 2016

D4L Giant Rock Lesson Video--Third Graders at TCN--Ryan Lyle

Click here for: D4L Video-3rd Grade, Level B, Theme 3, Week 15, Lesson 3
   
Note: To view video, you must be logged into your OUSD.org account

Video Table of Contents:
00:00 to 00:17 Introductory Materials
00:18 to 03:10 Reviewing Previous Lesson
03:11 to 17:03 Teaching the Day's Lesson
17:04 to 17:26 Materials Review



While I've only been using Discussions4Learning for a month or so in my third-grade classroom, I've seen that my students love to talk about the interesting and unique artwork in this curriculum.  

They especially love the review time at the beginning when they can practice using the new vocabulary as they look back on older lessons.  Keeping a running list of "words we have learned" allows many students to remember and use words they might have forgotten otherwise.  








Since it is only my second year as a classroom teacher, classroom management can be a struggle throughout these lessons.  As my management skills grow, I hope to be able to use more of the curriculum that asks for students to describe and interpret.  Unfortunately, I often find I've taken up the 20 minutes on the rug in a more call-and-response type of lesson and have little time left to ask students to discuss.  

As I continue to work on these lessons, my goal is to save more time for the "Connecting to the Theme" section of the curriculum.  This might mean I will do less turn and talks. However, as you can see in the video, students are bursting at the seams to talk about what they see and share their ideas about the art.  I'm working to find this balance.

--Ryan Lyle, 3rd Grade, Think College Now, OUSD

No comments:

Post a Comment